Bortoleto Drags Audi-Sauber Into SQ3: 'As Good As It Can Get With This Car'
Formula 13 min read

Bortoleto Drags Audi-Sauber Into SQ3: 'As Good As It Can Get With This Car'

23 May 20264h agoBy F1 News Staff· AI-assisted

Gabriel Bortoleto delivered Sauber-Audi's first SQ3 appearance of the 2026 season at the Canadian Grand Prix, calling his SQ2 lap 'as good as it can get with this car' — a milestone the project has been chasing since Bahrain and one Nico Hulkenberg has only matched in qualifying simulations.

Key Takeaways

  • 1.Honestly, these first few races have been good." The last sentence is the one Audi-Sauber will frame.
  • 2.It's the first time we do everything ourselves on the power unit side," he said earlier in the weekend, defining the on-track headwinds as the consequences of going OEM rather than failure of the project.
  • 3."It was a really good qualifying for us, especially a very strong SQ2 lap," Bortoleto said after Sprint Qualifying, sitting eighth on the grid for Saturday's Sprint.

Gabriel Bortoleto has handed Sauber-Audi its first SQ3 appearance of the 2026 season at the Canadian Grand Prix, the Brazilian rookie pulling a lap out of the C46 his team-mate has openly admitted is harder to drive than its midfield peers.

It is the kind of milestone that does not redraw the championship, but it does redraw a project. The new Audi works team has spent five race weekends being measured against a question the paddock has been asking since pre-season testing: where is the floor of this car? Through Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Miami and the Friday in Canada, the answer had been somewhere outside the top twelve. Bortoleto changed that on a single soft-tyre run.

"It was a really good qualifying for us, especially a very strong SQ2 lap," Bortoleto said after Sprint Qualifying, sitting eighth on the grid for Saturday's Sprint. "At the time it felt like it's as good as it can get with this car. Happy to get the first Q3 or SQ3 for the team this season showing progress. And from my side, very happy with my laps, with my performance. Honestly, these first few races have been good."

The last sentence is the one Audi-Sauber will frame. Bortoleto came into 2026 as the F2 champion, with a deal that has been described inside the paddock as the most aggressive rookie programme of the new generation. The expectation was always that the car would be the limiting factor in his first season. The Sprint Qualifying lap in Montreal is the first time this year the car has been less of a limit than his own race-craft.

He was not wrong about the context, either. Nico Hulkenberg, the team's senior driver, was eliminated in SQ1 and will start the Sprint from 16th. Speaking after his own session, the German offered the second-half of the Sauber-Audi story.

"Everyone is improving, like everyone is making steps, but we need to make sure that we make bigger steps," Hulkenberg said. "For sure we're still battling Aston. Hopefully we can see that we are a bit closer to the midfield and then we see as we go."

That Aston Martin reference is sharp. Aston Martin had Fernando Alonso lose the front end into the Tech Pro barrier in SQ1 — "a classic Fernando thing in some ways," Peter Windsor remarked on his analysis channel — and still had Alonso classified ahead of Hulkenberg on grid order. The midfield Sauber-Audi is fighting to climb into is not a single car length away. It is a battle on lap time, weekend by weekend, with a project that until 2026 had spent two decades buying its power unit from Ferrari.

Hulkenberg's broader point, repeated in Montreal, is that the structural transition matters more than any single qualifying result. "This team previously has been a customer team. It's the first time we do everything ourselves on the power unit side," he said earlier in the weekend, defining the on-track headwinds as the consequences of going OEM rather than failure of the project.

What Bortoleto's lap delivered is what Sauber-Audi has needed since the season opener — a single piece of evidence that the chassis-engine integration is producing competitive lap time in qualifying trim, not just in race simulation. He still has to convert from SQ3 into a Sprint result on Saturday, with the heavier fuel load and a tyre-management profile that has not yet been a Sauber-Audi strength.

The project will measure what it has now, and what it has now is the first SQ3 with the new badge on the front of the car. The rookie put it there. The senior driver flagged the structural reason it was possible. The Canadian Sprint will be the next test.

---

More Stories